Thursday, December 6, 2007

T.S. Elliot's structure...

T.S. Elliot seems to add to the "paralysis by analysis" by separating phrases of action from phrases of thought. For example, in the first paragraph it all is saying "let us go," which shows action. However, once he finally does get to the party or gathering, he says things like "Should I presume?" or "Do I dare disturb the universe?" While he took the action to get there, he feels uncomfortable in how to act after he gets there. This is how T.S. Elliot divides up the poem (or so I believe). Another way he uses his sturcture is by not using structure. I know that doesn't make sense. I meant that his way of making 10 lines and a break then 2 lines then a break then another 8 lines, etc. shows the chaos and uncertainty of the poor person in the poem. It is a way of expressing the chaos and nonsensical way action is thought about.

No comments: